Sunday, December 16, 2012

Violent Shootings and the Mentally Ill

There has been something bothering me since the Connecticut shootings of recent.  It seems as if every time I turn on the news there is someone talking about mental illness automatically.  It's assumed the killer had a mental disease and that is the only reason he could have committed such a heinous tragic crime. 

Well people need to wake up.  There are many many people out there with some form of MI and if the mentally ill were prone to do these crimes there would be way more committed.  Not every person suffering from MI has malcious intents towards others.  Towards themselves in some instances perhaps but not others. 

As I have discussed in previous blog posts, I suffer MI.  Yet I have a spotless criminal record.  There is much to be said about nature vs. nature with this argument but I feel it's too deep to go into in environment like a simple blog.  I will say this much though, it's tragic that the mental ill get singled out and stigmatized every time something like this happens. 

Other people with MI need to speak out about this too.  Just so people know we won't be stigmatized.  This is first and foremost about the victims.  They and they alone should be getting national attention and not gun laws, what to do with the mentally ill and so forth.  The only, only person responsible is the man the who shot the gun.  No one else.




2 comments:

  1. I disagree with you about the gun laws, but the shooting really affected me too. I also wrote about it on my blog about dealing with bipolar II.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's www.lithiumloveaffair.blogspot.com if you want to check it out.

      Delete